Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Round-Up: Tuesday, Jan. 5

Read: LA Times article on injecting chicken with saltwater and "natural flavor." I've been getting a lot more cautious about where I buy my chicken (and try to avoid cooking meat in general more and more).

Listen: Super Smash Bros - Livin The Dream (I’m On A Float) (dl both here)


Super Smash Bros - Jaein Off On My Day Off


Random Fact of the Day: "Only 202 of the 500 biggest companies in America in 1980 were still in existence 20 years later" (Economist)

Cook: This picture I took doesn't do any justice to how my open faced Parmesan chicken sandwich looked before I devoured it, but this was a great and simple lunch. Take some whole wheat baguette, cut it in half so it lays flat, throw on some marina sauce, fresh mozzarella cheese, cooked chicken, and top with some sprinkling of Parmesan cheese. Then throw it in the toaster oven (I'm lucky enough to have one of these at work) for 10 minutes and enjoy.



Debate: I've had this debate twice now over the past two days. Do you think pocket knives should be allowed on planes? This article by Berkeley Professor Michael O'Hare prompted the discussions. Here is an excerpt:

"....Would you rather be on a plane where the only person with a knife (or a bomb) is the terrorist who got it through screening, and the air marshal with a heater is a twenty rows back or not on this flight…or on a plane where you and lots of other passengers have Swiss Army knives in their pockets? Would you think you could hijack a plane more easily by smuggling that knife or bomb kit on (or even a gun) if most of the passengers were equipped, or if most had been graciously disarmed by TSA? If we know the “no weapons” rule would exclude all weapons, it might make sense, but we know it doesn’t, and therefore enables the bad guy. Actually, I would feel much better overall if adult passengers were charged a few bucks extra if they were careless enough to fly without a pocket knife."

Congrats: Despite hikes in fees, UCLA ranked #13 and UCI #20 in a national list of the 100 "best values" in public colleges.














Photo
by Tom Andrews/LAist

No comments: