Monday, October 12, 2009

Hip-Hop Week: P.O.S.

For the past couple of years, my musical tastes have been changing at an accelerated pace. While my listening habits are becoming more deeply entrenched in the indie rock world, it's worth noting that I do still listen to types of music all over the spectrum.

I just finished reading Sex, Drugs, and Cocoa Puffs: A Low Culture Manifesto by Chuck Klosterman and he had a great quote about music: "Do you know people who insist they like 'all kinds of music'? That actually means they like no kinds of music." I agree with this to a certain extent and whenever people ask me what kind of music I listen to, it's hard to answer but I just say some variation of indie/alternative rock (not a very helpful answer though). Although there are a handful of artists in almost every genre that I enjoy, most of my new favorites are in the indie rock scene. However, every day this week I will be discussing a hip-hop artist that I love and think should be given a chance by everyone.

Today I recommend P.O.S. Maybe I am drawn to P.O.S.'s rhymes because he actually started as a punk rocker in high school. Of course I didn't know this when I first started listening to P.O.S., but this influence is evident in songs like "Safety in Speed," which features one of my favorite poet-singers Craig Finn of The Hold Steady.

When I am driving late and need a pick me up, I reach for P.O.S.'s Audition.

Stream P.O.S.'s second album, Audition, here.

From P.O.S's latest album Never Better:

No comments: