Monday, October 12, 2009

Food Rules

I recently got a Santa Monica Public Library card since the main library is only a few blocks from my work. The past couple of times I've gone, I've sort of just browsed and picked up books at random. However, there are huge opportunity costs when it comes to reading books. I've decided to plan ahead and I've put half a dozen books on hold for me at the library so I can be sure to have something I'm excited about when they become available. A couple of the books I added today were about food. While I had to throw on Kitchen Confidential by Anthony Bourdain, I'm more excited about reading books about food politics such as Michael Pollan's In Defense of Food: An Eater's Manifesto.

In the recent New York Times Magazine issue dedicated entirely to food, Pollan discussed Food Rules: Your Dietary Do's and Dont's. Here are some of his favorites that have been submitted to him. There are some good ones in there. If you don't feel like reading a book about food politics, maybe you should think about renting Food, Inc. when it is released next month.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

sadly, i think i break most of those rules on a daily basis :/

Kim said...

Does this interest in food mean you've been checking out LA Restaurant Week?

Nick at TreasureLA said...

BK - I'll be posting my thoughts on DineLA week at the end of the week :) I've hit up a couple places with a couple more to go. Have you been to any yet?