Tuesday, December 16, 2008

KROQ Almost Acoustic Xmas

I was lucky enough to have been invited to Night 2 of KROQ's Almost Acoutic Xmas. Thanks to Aaron I., I was even able to get into the VIP section, grab a free drink and some finger food, and watch Death Cab for Cutie be interviewed on air. It was a great show and well worth making me getting an extension for my last final that was supposed to be due Monday at 3 pm. It was at the Gibson Amphitheater and the sound was great. I think the last time I was at a venue of that size was during the summer when I saw The Who with Foo Fighters, Pearl Jam, Incubus, Tenacious D, and the Flaming Lips. 

The line-up was as follows:
Vampire Weekend (Awesome way to start the show. This year's most buzzed about band)
Snow Patrol (Better than I expected)
Scott Weiland (Terrible. Most of the crowd cleared out to get drinks)
Franz Ferdinand (Fun live show)
Paramore (They turned me from a skeptic into a fan overnight)
Death Cab for Cutie (I'm glad that I've finally got to see them)
The Killers (Should of headlined because got the crowd going and high energy)
The Cure (Not the most engaging show, but great to see the legendary Robert Smith)

Aaron and I were trying to guess with a couple of people from KROQ management who the headliner would be because I guess this year they actually tried really hard to keep it a secret. Lots of names were thrown out (AC/DC, Axl Rose, Fall Out Boy, even Metallica), but we were all wrong. It was no other than Kanye West. I was pleasantly surprised because I'd probably never pay to go see Kanye live, but I've got a lot of respect for him and I greatly enjoyed his set. 

From the OC Register:

Surrounded by a four-piece band and eight Japanese taiko drummers, all dressed in riot gear, the hip-hop superstar set aside his rampant self-importance to earnestly dazzle with just four songs: the Daft Punk-infused "Stronger," and the lovesick regret that pours through "Homecoming," "Heartless" and "Love Lockdown," the latter two delivered much more vibrantly than on Kanye's one-dimensional breakup album, "808s & Heartbreak."

Other observations:
1. The guy right next to us asked his girlfriend to marry him during Snow Patrol. She said yes.
2. The douchebag guy in front of us (about 18 years old?) kept trying to stick his hands down the pants of the girl he was with. He also kept putting his arm around her, but mostly just kept hitting my leg with his arm.
3. Lots of high school kids being super annoying. Two guys kept trying to get these two girls they came with to make-out with each other. Instead they decided to freak with each other and be obnoxious. So many more stories I can tell about them...
4. The only people around us that weren't bothersome were the ones to our right, smoking weed throughout the whole night

What a great night.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Marriage proposals in the pit? A pit proposal? haha.