Film: Aaron Sorkin is one of my favorite writers. He can (almost) do no wrong in my eyes. I just hope he doesn't screw this one up: "Aaron Sorkin appears to be bold enough to take on the life of John Edwards, the philanderer with a $500 haircut. Sorkin has optioned The Politician, the tell-all written by aide Andrew Young, and plans to adapt it for the screen, producing and directing."
Did You Know?: From The Omnivore's Dilemma, Pollan's book I am currently reading
1. One-fifth of America’s petroleum consumption goes to producing and transporting our food
2. Most researchers trace America’s rising rates of obesity to the 1970s.This was of course the same decade that America embraced a cheap-food farm policy and began dismantling forty years of programs designed to prevent overproduction.
3. Early 1800s, American farmers were producing far too much corn. Corn whiskey, suddenly superabundant and cheap, became the drink of choice, and in 1820 the typical American was putting away half a pint of the stuff every day. That comes to more than 5 galls of spirits a year for every man, woman, and child in
4. Switching a cow’s diet from corn to grass or hay for a few days prior to slaughter reduces the population of E. coli 0157:H7 in the animal’s gut by as much as 80%. But such a solution (Grass?!) is considered wildly impractical by the cattle industry and (therefore) by the USDA.
5. You hear plenty of explanations for humanity’s expanding waistline, all of them plausible. Changes in lifestyle (we’re more sedentary; we eat out more). Affluence (more people can afford a high-fat Western diet). Poverty (healthier whole foods cost more). Technology (fewer of us use our bodies in our work; at home, the remote control keeps us pinned to the couch). Clever marketing (supsersized portions; advertising to children). Changes in diet (more fats; more carbohydrates; more processed foods).
List: Cerebral Sci-Fil Films That Wipe Our Minds
Download: Collection of Free Mashups from Bootie LA
Titus Jones – Imma Stop Loving Drugs (Ke$ha vs. Glee Cast vs. La Roux vs. Black Eyed Peas vs. Iglu & Hartly)
LeeDM101 – (Find Myself) A Heap of Love (Florence & The Machine vs. Depeche Mode vs. Imogen Heap)
Mochi Beats – Time After Romance (Lady Gaga vs. Cyndi Lauper vs. Three 6 Mafia)
(This one goes out to Courtney Alev)