Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Disappointing News

I haven't blogged in awhile, but I really have no excuse now that I am working 12-hour shifts in the computer labs. In addition to spending lots of time looking for jobs, cars, and apartments, I've been making my way through my ever-expanding Google Reader. Two pieces of news that have kind of bummed me out this week:

1. Westwood's cinema culture is dying. The Mann National has already been demolished and the Mann Westwood 4 and Mann Plaza theaters are long gone. This week it was announced that the Mann Festival is closing. This wasn't too disappointing since I wasn't a big fan of the Festival, but what did devastate me is the news that Mann won't be renewing its leases of the Village and Bruin.

The Village is one of my absolute favorite movie theaters and my favorite landmark in Westwood. Additionally, the Majestic Crest on Westwood Boulevard is also for sale. I can't imagine Westwood without the premieres and wonderful single-screen theaters. I refuse to go to the terrible AMC 4 and go out of my way to avoid the Landmark Regent. I hope another operator takes over the Village and Bruin because Westwood just won't ever be the same without them.

2. The story is still developing but LAPD Chief Bratton is stepping down today. While studying crime policy at UCLA, I came to really admire Bratton's intelligent and innovative approaches to law enforcement. His introduction of the Compstat system in New York to better track crimes and holding precinct commanders accountable as well as his willingness to act on the Broken Windows Theory are both important moments in modern policing. He is moving on to the private sector in October and will be missed.

No comments: